Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Chaining for Shinies pt 2

I am writing this while I'm sitting here on a 351 chain of grubbin. This is the third attempt at grubbin in particular, the first time I got to 12 and accidentally ran. The second time I got to like 270 and the grubbin started hitting itself and I got thrown out of the chain. This time, I'm sitting on 353, and aside from the fact that I'm not getting infested every other turn it's almost as big a pain in the ass as Dewpider was.

I'm going to repost the list of chains (and hopefully by the time I'm finished I'll actually be able to add grubbin to the list) so I don't have to go scrolling back for it.

Bruxish (Josh) - 71
Cutiefly (Me) - 315
Spinarak (Me) - 42
Dewpider (Me) - 373

I'm going to talk about some of the problems I had with these pokemon as I was chaining them, in the mean time. I'm sitting on 356 now. No one ever said this was a fast process.

Anyway, for Cutiefly and Spinarak it was pretty much the same set of issues; status effects are a pain in the butt. It's hard to keep a pokemon in for hundreds of pokemon when it's being paralysed and can't attack or it's poisoned and slowly being knocked out.

Dewpider's big problem was infestation. There are berries you can use to cure poisoning and paralysis (and believe me I did, a lot) but infestation just kind of sticks to you and there's nothing you can do to lessen the damage and it doesn't even matter if you're 50 levels higher than the pokemon you're grinding it's still going to knock you out fairly quickly because no matter what it does, what, 1/8th of your health?

Grubbin on the other hand is an easy grind. They're all levels 3-6. They have Vice Grip, which does one or maybe two damage to my false swipe cubone, and String Shot, which slows you down but when they're only doing two damage max being bottomed out on speed is not a big deal.

You've probably gathered by now that I'm working on a bug team. In all honesty, I want a fairy team too (and Ribombee will be on both) but the shiny Mimikyu I want is going to be a pain in the ass. Because the pokemon I have that know False Swipe and Hold Back are Cubone, a bunch of Sneazels, Snorlax and Golisopod.

And False Swipe and Hold Back are both Normal Type moves that don't effect ghosts.

(365)

Now I keep hearing Pancham has this hidden ability that lets it hit ghosts with normal type moves. And the best chance of getting the hidden ability is to chain for it. So here I am thinking about grinding for a shiny Pancham just so I can use it to get Mimikyu.

I really need to take a minute to look at my life and my choices.

But that tangent aside, bug team.

I'm trying to get some decent type coverage while still having them all be the same type, gym leader style. Bugs are weak to Fire, Flying and Rock, and strong to Grass, Psychic and Dark.

Ribombee is a speedy little badass and the shiny form is pink. Looking at it next to a regular Ribombee is like looking at different kinds of lemon aid, it's just super cute. She's bug-fairy, and I probably don't have to tell you that fairy type is the new Dragonslayer and useful for a bunch of other reasons besides. Fairy is strong to Fighting, Dragon and Dark.

Ariados is bug poison. Bug type is already good against grass so really Ariados is only going to be super helpful against fairy type pokemon, but given Fairy is only really weak to poison and steel I'm not super concerned about this.

Araquanid is bug water. That's going to be super helpful with rock and fire types, which are two huge glaring weaknesses that this type set has to begin with. It doesn't hurt that he's got defense out the butthole, either.

Grubbin itself is not that useful but after it evolves into Vikavolt it will be bug-electric, and good against flying (one of the bug weaknesses I had to worry about) and water. So at the very least after I get this freaking grubbin (375 now btw--officially at least in the numbers, a worse pain in the butt than dewpider was) I'll have all my weaknesses covered.

Which leaves me with the following to worry about: Steel, Ghost, Bug, Poison, Ice, Electric, Normal.

Steel is weak to Fire, Fighting and Ground.
Ghost is weak to Ghost and Dark.
Bug is weak to Fire, Flying and Rock.
Poison is weak to Ground and Psychic.
Ice is weak to Fire, Fighting, Rock and Steel.
Electric is weak to Ground.
Normal is weak to Fighting.

Fire keeps popping up here. Volcarona would be a good one to add to my team even if it's not available on Sun and Moon yet. I can keep that slot open and it's something I'll for sure want at least eventually.

And then maybe Scizor, it's bug steel and has a mega form. So does Heracross and it's bug fighting. They're both big contenders right now. But Scizor has the slight advantage of being procurable in the game I'm playing right now without me having to wait. Of course I could probably just take a step back after I finally get this freaking grubbin and focus on filling out my pokedex.

And with that I'm sitting on 383 dead grubbin, still no shiny. Starting to question if shiny grubbin even exists. Or maybe I am in the one patch of grass in all the land that just doesn't have one in it anywhere. But either way I've made it kind of a habit of taking a break every 100 chained on so that I don't wear myself out.

How did I get that spinarak in 42 tries.

I do, just because I'm a boosted animal like that, want to go and get the bottlecaps to make my pokemon I already have perfect in their IVs. All of them have at least 4 IVs right now but I want all of them. It's not that they don't have the right ones, it's more to the point that it gives me something to do while I'm waiting to be able to import from other games.

I am so stupid happy that you can change the IVs now, it's a lot of work but it's going to be totally worth it.

I'm sitting on 391 grubbin now. Stay with me for a minute, I'll cut this off when I breach 400 and if I don't have it by then I might come back and make an edit instead of doing a whole new journal entry because this one's gotten pretty long.

I don't know why that surprises me it feels like that always happens. I am in too deep now. In too deep with the blogging, in too deep with the pokemon, in too deep with hitting my personal goals in general.

Wow I think these grubbin legitimately only know two moves each. I have been playing a dangerous game letting them chain as long as I have at some junctures. 396. There's like no way I'm getting that shiny in the next four pokemon right? This is getting ridiculous. But at the same time it's like, I've been at this too long to just give up now. But I'm at the point where they keep calling for help and none shows up and it's eerily like the grubbin know what's going to happen to them if they come out. I am a jerk and committing almost genocide just to find that one particular grubbin that's a different color than the others.

And people are totally going to think I cheated them in XD They're going to see my team of all shinies and be like "There is a cheater in the forest!" and I know this because that is exactly what I would say.

399

And yep, that's 400 and like I promised I'm gonna shut up now. But holy cow why is Grubbin taking so long.

Fortune Favors

Edit: I ended up dropping my DS and the cartridge came out and I lost my chain at around 432. Tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment